On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
<a...@lomaxdesign.com>wrote:

This is a thoroughly embarrassing event in the history of science. It's a
> huge story, in fact. I've thought of asking Taubes to look at it again.

I would not attempt to resuscitate Gary Taubes.  He was a card carrying
member of the original gang that sought to beat up Fleischmann and Pons and
others -- his book makes it clear that he was on their cc lists and
computer network exchanges, and he thanks many of them in
the acknowledgments.  I believe he said as late as 2009 something to the
effect that suggested that his position hadn't changed.

An interesting note about his book is how worked up he gets about Bockcris
and Wolf the tritium.  He himself seems to be aware of the implications of
tritium, and he goes to pains to try to establish that either the tritium
results are completely new science or they're due to (intentional)
contamination.  I believe he was trying to convince the world that there
was clear fraud.  I wonder whether this was triggered in part by Bockris's
casual and consistent dismissal of the spiking hypothesis.  I don't imagine
that Taubes intended to do so, but to a reader twenty years later he ends
up making Bockris look quite reasonable and likable.

Hoffman suggests that measuring tritium is very problematic -- his
transition into the discussion: "If the problems of neutron artifacts seem
somewhat dark, then the problem of tritium artifacts is the stygian
blackness at the end of a very dark tunnel." He seems to be saying that,
contrary to popular belief that tritium is very easy to measure, it is in
fact very difficult to separate a tritium signal from artifact.  This seems
like a stretch.  Perhaps I have read him incorrectly, here.

Eric