A thought occurred to me after the brief discussion that was conducted about
the subject of D + D fusion.  The wikipedia article on fusion of this type
suggests that there is always either a neutron or proton emitted from the
reaction when hot fusion takes place.  This of course makes sense from the
conservation of momentum and energy perspective as Dr. Storms has pointed out.

I commented that a measurement of the actual energy released to the alpha
particles of cold fusion reactions would allow someone to calculate the energy
and momentum that had to be left behind for the numbers to make sense.  My
first thoughts on the matter were that this was going to require a large
reactionary force if conservation of momentum was to be maintained.  I did not
actually calculate the magnitude of the momentum or the energy associated with
that mass conversion.

My choice of a central location from which to observe the reaction made it
clear that the alpha particle would be frozen in place pending the release of
this mass.  With this in mind I think that it would be wise for us to give very
serious consideration to the prospect that direct fusion of D + D is unlikely.
It would be a good idea to explore different paths that ultimately lead to the
release of one or more alpha particles.  Of course the source for the reaction
must be deuterium.  I am confident that this suggestion has been covered before
and I am curious about the possible paths that are available.  Do any of these
fit into place when a review of the active cold fusion metals is considered?
Would the addition of a deuterium nuclei be encouraged by Pd for example?

Dave