From: Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sat, Jan 26, 2013 6:36 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:The hydrogen s-orbital and the problem of muonic hydrogen

I wrote:

So it seems that under certain conditions, physicists are measuring something
vaguely like Mills's fractional hydrogen -- it might be that it is Mills's
fractional hydrogen, or it might be something entirely different.

This is incorrect.  The physicists are measuring *muonic* hydrogen and getting
a different charge radius for the proton.  So we're not dealing with Mills
hydrogen or even something that looks like Mills hydrogen, since these have an
electron and not a muon.

If you extrapolate the charge radius from these experiments to the case of the
normal proton-electron system, that is interesting.  But what I don't
understand yet is that the new charge radius is 0.04fm *smaller* than
previously measured.  In light of this, I'm not sure what is meant by the
quotation going back to the paper that "The proton structure is important
because an electron in an S [ground] state has a nonzero probability to be
inside the proton."

Eric