I would say with 99.98 % confidence that anomalous cooling hints to the
calibration error of instruments. There should not be any doubts for that.

Cooling and going against the second law of thermodynamics, however is not that
particularly surprising. Entropy decreased at large scale when the universe was
just three seconds old. The primordial nucleosynthesis compressed huge amount
of energy into protons and alpha particles. This caused entropy to decrease in
isolated system. Also in supernovae explosions, entropy decreases when energy
is trapped into atoms heavier than Ni-62.

Hydrino formation goes also against the second law of thermodynamics and it
causes thus the cooling of isolated system, because hydrinos are stable.
However as I know that Mills' theory is wrong at fundamental level, this does
not do as an explanation. However, hydrinos are interesting thought
experiments, because it is trivial to envision logical conditions where the
classical second law of thermodynamics will fail in isolated system.

Is this then yet another failure for cold fusion, or is it still too early to
tell?

   —Jouni