A position with a consulting engineering firm is not the same as a job with
the Fortune 500 -- and it is no surprise that otherwise unemployable older
engineers are ending up in consulting engineering firms that may service
the Fortune 500.  It is an obvious market niche and it is good to hear it
is providing some relief but the economic rent seekers gravitate to
ensconced positions -- full benefits, etc -- in the Fortune 500 which have
the resources to pursue public sector rent seeking as well as private
sector rent seeking.  One acquaintance of mine from the PLATO days was with
the Open Source Development Labs and doing consulting, recently died due to
no health insurance.