Here are some interesting links on comet behavior if anyone is interested.
 They do not behave like the snowballs I knew and loved growing up in Maine.

   1. Plasma radiation<http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/1993/93JA02532.shtml>
   2. Gamma
radiation<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CEcQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.discovery.com%2Fspace%2Fchristmas-day-gamma-ray-burst-comet-death-111130.html&ei=2A2RUN2XJoSQ9gTSgIH4Bw&usg=AFQjCNG20rg3mbElnetMLYJKcOVaRzbSOg&sig2=RX4YiR6dN1G2qUmdWbZqVA>
   3. X-ray
radiation<http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2000/ast23aug_1m/>
   4. Ultraviolet radiation<http://www.lpi.usra.edu/books/CometsII/7014.pdf>
   5. Visible