David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

If this one was just discovered last February then how many more are
> waiting on the sidelines?

NASA and others are taking the problem seriously. See their Near-Earth
Object Project:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/

http://www.spaceguarduk.com/

Part of the credit for this goes to our late friend Arthur Clarke. He
coined the term "Spaceguard" I think, and lobbied for this effort.

The first thing to do is to locate as many asteroids as possible.

If we have sufficient time I think we can deflect even a large object. I
think there is an upper limit to the likely size. I doubt that an object
the size of Mt. Everest is likely to appear out of deep space.