From: mixent <mix...@bigpond.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thu, Feb 14, 2013 5:39 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Near earth asteroid info

Hi,
[snip]
>A blast years in advance might spread the material in both time and space
sufficiently to protect us.

You have to be a little careful here. If it's too far in advance, and the blast
doesn't accelerate the pieces beyond their own escape velocity, then the
gravitational pull between them might bring the thing back together again before
impact. It may require a bit of math to get the timing just right.

BTW I don't think the water would be necessary. At the temperature of a nuclear
blast, a high temperature plasma forms, surrounded by a gas. I think the plasma
and the gas would provide enough pressure.

However it might require a "Tsar Bomba" to do the job.

BTW2 Asteroids that are "rubble collections" would obviously be better
candidates than completely solid bodies, but unfortunately we don't have any say
in the matter. ;)

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk