Edmund Storms <stor...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

I do not think Park is irrational or has any mental problems.

I do not think so either. He is, however, what the British call "a nasty
piece of work."

Huizenga was affable in person, but awfully closed-minded in his book.

Such people are as common in academia as any other walk of life. I have not
found academic scientists to be especially open-minded or willing to look
at new ideas. They have a reputation for that, but it is overblown.

> I think he is a sincere closed-minded person, which is the most common
> type of person.

Very common indeed.

> I find that the system of human behavior is getting more irrational at the
> level of policy.

Compared to what? George W. Bush's reasons for attacking Iraq? The U.S.
Navy's deployment of ships and troops to guard Pearl Harbor in December
1941? The economic policies that led to the Great Depression? The build-up
of thermonuclear weapons during the cold war?

People have done many stupid things in the past! We are coming up on the
100th anniversary of the First World War, which was arguably the most
irrational event in history. Irrational on so many levels, it boggles the
mind. The causes of the war, the way it was planned, and the way it was
carried out are so outlandish, so destructive, futile, inhuman and
wasteful, you can't help thinking that everyone at all levels was crazy.
While it was happening many people such as Winston Churchill and Wilfred
Owen pointed out the insanity of it, in vain.

When I look back at things like that I feel optimistic. Things aren't as
bad as all that!