David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

> I can imagine that one day the environmental groups will begin to object
> strenuously to the extreme degradation of scenery, the killing of millions
> of birds . . .

Many people do complain about the degradation of the scenery. I think they
have a point, but I would far rather see a wind turbine than the smoke from
a coal fired plant. When you take off in an airplane over Georgia or some
other state with many coal fired plants, you can see the smoke trailing
over the landscape for 20 to 50 miles, blanketing rural areas in brown and
gray smoke.

There have been claims that wind turbines kill millions of birds but these
claims are utterly false. They kill very few, I suppose because birds are
evolved to avoid large moving objects in the sky such as tree branches
waving in the wind. Coal fired plants kill millions of birds, as does
reflective glass on large buildings and houses. Domesticated cats kill so
many birds that New Zealand is thinking of outlawing cats. (Seriously.)