I think that this is just nice to know study, but it does not put fundamental
limits for the wind power utilization. First is that with optimal scattering of
wind turbines, it is possible get significantly more watts per m². Linear rows
are the worst in efficiency, but the science of optimization is evolving
rapidly and I doubt that this was considered in this Harvard study.

Second argument is that with advanced blades materials, such as carbon fibers
and futuristic graphene, it is possible to make rotors up to 250 meters in
diameter. This can boost individual wind turbine output up to 20 MW. With 20 MW
off-shore wind turbines, the power density can be increased substantially what
they modeled on this Harvard study.

Wind Turbine Blades Push Size Limits
http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2012/07/wind-turbine-blades-push-size-limits

I would think that more worrisome thing about global scale wind production is
how terawatt scale wind power production affects on global climate patterns.
Some studies indicate that terawatt scale wind power production may have
significant impact on global warming.

However I think this as non-issue, because wind power is only good for northern
European latitudes, because in the south, solar power with battery storage is
the dominant way to produce electricity in near future. The cost of solar is
getting exponentially cheaper as the global demand is ramping up to production
of solar panels. In 2012 the price of solar systems fell 25 % in Germany and
solar is now cheaper than grid electricity for the companies. The system cost
of rooftop solar electricity is just 120–140 euros per MWh where as grid
electricity costs 110–170 euros per MWh. And this in Germany that is located in
latitudes near Alaska and is covered with clouds!

And there is absolutely no reasons why the cost of solar would not fall another
25 % in 2013, because we are far from the theoretical potential of solar
electricity. New breakthrough on advanced prototypes are reported weekly.
Latest breakthrough lab prototype was on the utilization of graphene in solar
cells:

Photoexcitation cascade and multiple hot-carrier generation in graphene

http://www.nature.com/nphys/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nphys2564.html

—Jouni

Ps. thanks Jed for pointing out good argument that domestic cats are killing
billions of birds but this is a non-issue, because unlike wind turbines, cats
are cute! Only cat haters are using this as an argument against domestic cats.