I suggested an explanation that apparently was lost in the discussion. Suppose each asteroid has a swarm of smaller rocks in orbit around it. Suppose one of these rocks was in an orbit that caused it to approach the earth from the opposite direction at the time of the meteor strike in Russia. Overlooked in this discussion was at least one other large meteor reported near Cuba, which could have been part of the same swarm. This is important because any close encounter with an asteroid might result in the earth being bombarded by large rocks coming from directions different from the path of the asteroid as the asteroid gets close. This makes protection that much more difficult.

Ed