I rode my electric bike today.  I looked at various brands, Izuma, and ebike.
They cost about $2K with a lithium ion battery.   I purchased for the 1KW Magic
Pie kit.  It was about $400 for the motor and about $400 for the LiPo 36 volt
10 amp hr. battery.  It runs well but it will never compete with a gasoline
engine.  It is heavy about 60 lbs, the range is limited, and it takes time to
recharge.  My friend has a two cycle 50 cc gasoline energy conversion and the
power is about the same.    The 2 cycle gasoline engine is fickle.  The
electric motor has a wider range in which it delivers usable torque.  The two
cycle engine only costs only $150.  A four cycle gasolie engine at about $400
would be better, less fickle, and have a wider range in which it delivers
toque.

I am glad I got the 1 KW electric.  I am large and the 250 watt European bike
would have not preformed.
It my first experience with electric.

The kit went together well.  I had some trouble with the free wheel.  I have a
bike shop take it off.  The cutting bit must have been worn out in China
because the freewheel would not twist completely on the motor's shaft.  I had
to hone the treads with the shaft of an old freewheel and a pipe wrench.  I
added a plastic spoke guard to the assembly.  The spoke guard rubs and squeaks
a little.  I still have to tweak the derailer because the chain clicks in a few
gears.  I know not how to do this well.

I will let you all know how it goes as I get some experience with the bike in
this up and coming spring.

Frank