For example, the waves in a body of water can coalesce into a big wave in
less space than the small waves: a rogue wave. You can’t really tell where
those small waves went. They are forever gone as separate entities.
But in quantum mechanics, if one of those waves produces energy, all the
small waves will reappear as separate waves: decoherence.

These small waves expand in dimentionality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoherence

The energy that caused them to separate will be spread around in all the
small waves as they interface with the environment because they were joined
at the time that the energy was produced.

You did not ask but I will say, if you look at the last formula in this
reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-empirical_mass_formula

you will see that the many forces that hold the nucleus together are finely
tuned and in a delicate balance.

In a very stable nucleus like nickel, if the charge coefficient ac in
changed in either direction, the nucleus will become unstable and want to
reconfigure into a more stable configuration. I call this reconfiguration
process fission.

Cheers:   Axil