On Mar 30, 2013, at 12:16 AM, David Jonsson <davidjonssonswe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The full dynamic range of the eye is 1:1000000 which requres encoding of 20
> bits per color or 60 bits per pixel, and the static range is 1:10000
> representable with 14 or 42 bits. Such pixels would be a much better choise
> compared top increasing the megapixel to absurd levels.

My camera has 41 megapixel sensor and it does splendid work. In camera
technology the megapixel count does not matter itself, but how large is the
sensor. And indeed this 41 Mpix sensor is the largest of its class and thus the
performance is best of its class. Because the individual pixels cannot get any
smaller, then the actual sensor must be made larger to fit 41 Mpix. Therefore
we need 100 megapixel camera sensors, because they collect light from large
area and as a bonus they leave a lot of room for zooming in good lighting
conditions.

Perhaps you did not realize that in digital photography, the megapixel counting
is not about making higher quality raw pictures but it is left there for
zooming and cropping purposes and for low light performance and for noise
cancellation. What if you retrospectively want to zoom into small detail of the
picture, e.g. to identify what was that bird that was captured in the
background?

However, why we must mimic eye? Why not just increase the color channels? Birds
have four color channels. Why not use six or more color channels in digital
cameras?

—Jouni