Does anyone know how a free electron in space can absorb a photon of moderate
energy?  I was thinking of the interaction between a light photon and a free
electron when it occurred to me that it might be impossible for the photon to
deliver all of its energy and momentum to a single particle.  I chose the frame
of reference as being where the electron is stationary for this thought
experiment although it might be better to choose a different one.

>From the electron view point an incoming photon has both energy and momentum.
>If we assume that the photon is completely absorbed by the electron then the
>total energy and momentum must remain in balance.  The electron was initially
>at rest so it had zero momentum and the energy associated with its mass.
>After the collision the electron would be in relative motion from our
>reference frame at which time it would have both momentum and extra energy.  I
>can go through the math in detail if needed, but it is apparent that these
>calculations would not hold up to keep the system in balance except for
>perhaps one special energy photon(.511 MeV).  In that case a pair of .511 MeV
>gammas is emitted when an electron and positron annihilate each other.  Also,
>the two gammas are emitted in opposite directions to conserve momentum.

In light of the above argument, it appears as though a free space electron can
not absorb a photon in total and that it must instead interact to a lesser
degree.  Does that mean that these collisions virtually always result in the
scattering of incoming electromagnetic radiation?  Does a photon keep getting
bounced around as it looses energy in a non ending series of collisions?   If
this is true then it would not be too big of a stretch to imagine that the
cosmic background radiation might be correlated with the eventual fate of high
energy photons that have been beaten to death on their way through the free
charged particles of space.

The other situation to examine is that since a single photon apparently can not
be totally absorbed by a free electron, then the reverse should be true.  A
free electron should not be able to spawn a single photon.  The conservation
laws should get in the way of that activity and I would expect a pair of
photons most likely is the consequence.  It might happen that these are
entangled due to their close relationship at birth.

Can anyone add support to these conclusions?   It is always interesting to
expand ones knowledge by thought experiments.

Dave