In Quantum Electrodynamics (QED) everything is calculated through
probability. That is the square of the amplitude of the reaction.

If the photon is resonant with the electron, the probability that the
photon will be absorbed is high. If it is not resonant, the probability of
coupling is low but not impossible.

If the photon is not absorbed by one electron, it will encounter many more
until it is absorbed.

>From QED, this type of ordinary electron has a probability of absorbing the
photon and then reemitting it.

This happens all the time when plain old electrons orbit the nucleus when
an electron jumps between orbital shells of an atom. The electron will jump
up to the next energy level when it finds a photon with the proper quanta.

This is how things are colored. Grass absorbs red light and blue light but
reflects green light.

These ordinary electrons do gain and lose energy in quanta.

Cheers:   Axil