I would assume that the mass of the hydrogen atom is less than that of
individual proton and electron once energy is radiated at 13.6 eV.   This is a
very tiny amount of mass difference, but it must occur.

You have asked an interesting question about where the energy is stored.  I
suspect that it is in the form of reduced external electric fields.  Once I was
attempting to define this behavior by realizing that energy is stored within
electric and magnetic fields throughout the nearby space.  Then I mentally
added a second active particle such as another proton or electron nearby and
looked at the resulting field due to the superposition.  Same charge addition
always increased the field vectors which added to the field in a quadratic
form.  While, adding an electron to the nearby region surrounding the field
induced by a proton resulted in less net field vector energy.  This convinced
me that the energy in the case of hydrogen was stored in the reduced overall
electric field.  Of course, similar things should occur with the magnetic
fields due to spins.

I am still attempting to understand how and where the mass is distributed
around a charged particle since my thoughts suggest that a portion of the mass
must exist as energy in the surrounding fields.

Dave