As quoted from the article... Regarding:

“And remember that to turn a proton into a neutron you merely have to
replace one of its up quarks by a down quark (Figure 3); that replacement
is enough to make the neutron slightly heavier than a proton, and shift its
electric charge from +e to zero.”

The main function of the valence quarks is to carry fractional electric
charge. Inside the nucleus, protons and neutrons do not exist.They are in
superposition and are only a potential.

Protons and neutrons pair up  with each other because they pass their
factional EMF charges back and forth between them.

In the nucleus, it looks to me like the charge is passed around between
nuclear particles on a regular round robin basis.  If a nuclear particle
does not get its charge fix in time so that its charge can be refreshed
through a charge change, it is pushed out of the nucleus.

In a proton rich nucleus, the pions who carry charge change will eventually
fail to service the charge changing needs of all its constituent protons.
The mesons have a short life and in that short time they can only do so
much. A neglected proton will not get a negative charge change from the
pion to turn the proton into a neutron and eventually a neglected proton
pair will be pushed out of the atom.

On the other hand, in a neutron rich nucleus, the pion will eventually fail
to service the charge changing needs of all its constituent neutrons. The
pion can only do so much. A neutron will not get a positive charge from the
pions to turn the neutron into a proton and eventually a neglected neutron
pair will be pushed out of the atom.

If the total positive charge in the nucleus is screened to some degree,
some number of protons will be expelled from the nucleus until the nucleus
is smaller and has a close balance of protons and neutrons based on the
charge capacity that the nucleus has remaining.

Being exceptionally stable, elements that have magic numbers of protons and
neutrons will resist charge screening to a greater degree than those who
have a mismatch in the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus.

One event that is likely: under heavy charge screening, a collection of
charge carrying quarks will reconfigure having been expelled from the
nucleus. The spin of the pair potential will be zero, and this is the
reason why a pair is expelled and not just one particle, This new proton
pair will pair up and become an alpha particle with one pair adjusting
their charges if required by absorbing some electrons to become a neutron
pair. This neutron pair will find another proton pair and thus form an
alpha particle.

This is how heavy charge screening increases the probability that alpha
particles will form and leave the nucleus. This is why iron will form when
nickel is exposed to heavy charge screening.