On 5/3/2013 12:00 AM, Axil Axil wrote:

> So sorry, please excuse me, the answer I requested is still pending.

You mean this question?

"Science recognizes that screening can accelerated alpha decay. How does such screening affect the pions in their ability to keep these nucleons inside the atom? In detail, what does screening do to the pions? What changes?"

Based on context, I'm going to assume that what you mean by "screening" is really "blasting nuclei with massively powered lasers". If that's not what you mean, then you still need to explain to me what you mean by screening.

So: the answer to your question is: it doesn't do anything to the pions. It doesn't reduce the attractive forces. What it does is supply enough additional energy to the nuclei that the energy hill it has to tunnel through is shorter, increasing the probability of alpha decay.

Here's a picture.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/alptun.html

Look at the graph for "Alpha Tunneling Model". If you raise the black horizontal line, you'll get more red squiggles on the right hand side (decay).

- Joe