I wrote:

it is unlikely that you can have a hydroton in which, after successive
> vibrations of the chain, the hydrogen nuclei gradually combine with the
> electrons sandwiched between them and give off small bursts of low-energy
> EMF.  This seems to fly in the face of Coulomb repulsion and the large
> amount of motion that these particles generally undergo.

I forgot to mention another difficulty I have with this proposal -- it
seems like once the nucleons were close enough for the nuclear force to
take over, they would snap together with great force, and the resulting
metastable nuclei would quickly emit gamma rays.

Eric