I believe another difficulty for this form of storage is that the temperature
must be kept extremely low to keep the placed atoms from jumping all over the
place.   I also find it incredible that the metal surface appears to be so
smooth at this level of detail.  Any idea what you would see if you placed one
new copper atom upon the surface?  Unless they intentionally moved all the
excess ones off the now smooth surface, then it appears that any new ones would
be absorbed into the surface.

It would be interesting to see how a gas atom behaves if placed upon this
surface as well.  Would oxygen get attached to the nearest copper and freeze in
place or would it freely exchange locations like the more inert carbon?  Then,
of course I found it interesting that the carbon atoms seem to run into each
other without forming a bond.  Does that suggest that the carbon copper bond is
more powerful than a carbon pair?  One last question:  How deep would a carbon
nano sphere dig into the surface?

There is a great deal of exciting work being done at these sizes and it is
apparent that many new useful discoveries will result.

Storage in DNA might become important one day provided that it can be sped up
and that a much better system does not come first.  Life has found it to be
useful and it has the advantage of billions of years of evolution.  Perhaps
life would have found one of the better ways had it been able to operate at
higher energy levels.  Fortunately we do have this luxury.

Dave