Actually it could be much better than one bit per atom.

It depends on how accurately the distance between atoms can be measured and
how closely they can be packed.

On a 2D surface there might be an analogy to linear RLL codes.

Current digital storage systems use "Run length limited" (RLL) codes where
it's the distance between bits that contain the information.

Theoretically you only need two samples to get lots of bits - if you can
measure the distance to an accuracy of 1:4096 you get twelve bits per atom!

( Last I knew, hard disks use RLL 2,7 meaning minimum space is 2 units and
max is 7 units, and CDs use RLL 8,14.)