Actually skeptics (correctly called pseudo skeptics) are far worse than
that.

They even disbelieve things that can be explained by establishment dogma.

I have heard that they disbelieved the effects of steroids initially
despite evidence.
And to this day vitamins and minerals are often ignored.

But these are not fringe concepts.

So what are these people really?
Those who oppose any form of extraordinary or important information.
Anything vital and wonderful is their target, they are actually cynics.
And want to degrade the world.

Actually this makes me think of the character of Gregory House (House MD),
he is often skeptical, but also takes glee in dashing peoples illusions,
even if they aren't illusions.

It is an attempt to remove the joy and life and wonder, just a different
form of dark age.
And if it is true of not is not their concern.

John