I've been wondering for a while about a geometric temperature-dependent
explanation.

Suppose we have rods of nickel, with cracks on the surface  running along the
length of the rod.
(The same argument can be applied to spheres, but rods are easier to explain).

The radius of the rod varies linearly with temperature.

With pure nickel there is NO stress around the cracks, so they are unchanged.

But suppose his "catalyst" were a surface treatment, resulting in a LOWER
coefficient of expansion.

Then there WOULD be stress across the cracks, pulling them apart, which could
serve either to deepen them, or to elongate them.

The deepening and/or lengthening of the cracks creates a NAE whose size is
proportional to temperature, so the reaction is multiplied in like proportion.
When the temperature drops the cracks close up again.

With rods the cracks oriented round the circumference would not expand. With
spheres all cracks would be expand.