On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Alan Fletcher <a...@well.com> wrote:

> > A device with a COP of 3 is not better than a heat pump.
>
> That's for MARCH, which was intentionally run at lower power, choosing
> stability over COP.

Right. Three months of technical "improvements" gave a worse COP.

> The December test (which you reject because you don't know what paint was
> used -- emissivity likely to be around 0.9) had a COP=6.

Well, everyone's counting the Swedes to give credibility, and they weren't
there. The December test is as credible as Levi's 18-hour test. That was
far better power output, better COP, and a simpler experiment. Just you
have to trust Levi, just like here. So they're moving backwards.

> Rossi says he's working on an interface to a Siemens(?) turbine. That
> would be COP=6 * 30% efficiency for electricity, PLUS 70% heat for a
> combined-generation capability.

Sure. He's been saying that for 2 years.

> Even then I don't think you//// a sensible engineer would want to feed it
> straight back, again for stability reasons, without maybe an intermediate
> bank of batteries.

Stabilizing electricity is not a new trick.

> I'm sure that if the tokomak hot fusion guys ever get more the 2kWh
> (current record) out of their system, that you'll demand they feed their
> own power back.

The hot fusion guys have not claimed over unity. They don't need it to
prove they've got fusion, though.

But yes, it will not be considered a success until ignition is achieved,
and it can at least power itself. When cold fusion can power itself, it
might get some attention.