Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote, regarding a COP of 3:

 Wrong. The ECat at low gain would be valuable to the segment of the
> population whose only affordable alternative is a resistance space heater
> COP=1 versus LENR heater COP=3.

There are not many people like that in the first world. Most of them are in
the U.S. Pacific Northwest where the electricity comes from hydro or wind
power, so production does not take 3 units of thermal power per 1 unit of
electricity.

That is what I recall from the EIA.

Next is the home electric water heater. For them, net power for heat is cut
> by two thirds.

Right.

> DoE says space heating and water heating are the largest consumer of
> energy in U.S. residences, accounting for approximately 15% of total
> electricity usage.

Right again. Electric water heating is more common that resistance electric
space heating.

However, as I said there is no reason to think Rossi or anyone else is
limited to a COP of 3. In the most recent tests, the first COP was 6 and
the second was 3 but that was very conservative. Probably it was closer to
4.

No matter how difficult it is to control the thing at higher COPs, methods
will be found, and then perfected. People are able to control extremely
dangerous reactions, such as igniting small amounts of gasoline without
causing the entire vehicle to explode. This is done all over the world in
billions of automobiles every day. Automobiles seldom burn. When they were
first developed Otto cycle engines and diesel engines burned and exploded
often.