I wrote:

> No matter how difficult it is to control the thing at higher COPs, methods
> will be found, and then perfected.

This control problem only seems to be an issue with the high temperature
Hot Cat model. At moderate temperatures Rossi ran for long periods with
less input power, and a much better COP. Therefore, if we're talking about
space heating or hot water heaters, where the temperature reaches about
80°C at most, he has already demonstrated commercially useful COP's. These
devices would reduce electric power consumption by a large margin, and
eliminate the use of natural gas for everything but cooking. As noted this
is a large fraction of all energy use. See chapter 15 of my book.

Applications that must have the Hot Cat higher temperatures include things
such as electric power generation, transportation, manufacturing, cooking,
and some process heat. Process heat used for curing wood and other
applications could be done with a low temperature Rossi reactors.

We think of energy as necessarily being high temperature high grade heat,
such as combustion heat. Actually a large fraction of useful heat is at low
temperatures. It just happens that most of our technology produces
high-grade heat. This is often an impedance mismatch. It would be better if
we could make heat at 50°C rather than thousands of degrees which then have
to be cooled down, from a gas flame to space heating. This is crying shame
from the point of view of thermodynamics. Heat pumps are a far better use
of such high grade energy. A gas flame powered heat pump heating coil would
be a better use of natural gas, but it would be difficult to engineer.

As I remarked in the last pages of my book, the ultimate impedance mismatch
would be a Tokamak reactor which produces temperatures of 400,000,000°C,
and might end up being used for resistance electric power heating in houses.