I am getting a bad feeling that LENR is still here way before its time.
Science is not at a stage that will accept LENR as a possibility. It looks
to me like magnetism is a key factor in the quantum mechanical processes at
the heart of the disruption of nuclear stability.

Looking back at the recent history of experimental and theoretical physics
that occurred in the mid 1990’s, magnetism turned out to be the primary
causative factor in the weird and hard to understand experimental results
that first revealed the quantum hall effect. Experiments showed that
resistance could be quantized when electrons were highly constrained
dimensionally and were also acted on by a strong magnetic field.

Even weirder, electric charge could be fractionalized when electrons were
exposed to a strong magnetic field.

This process of electron charge fractionalization is very difficult to
visualize physically. So physicists have come up with a quasiparticle
concept called a composite fermion to depict what is happening to many
electrons affected by a strong magnetic field.

Back then, the physics community was pained to explain this perplexing
experimental fractional charge result. But this experimental shock created
a new burst of innovation in string theory and quantum field theory which
is still nascent and not yet fully understood.

There are still many perplexities in particle physics.

Almost half a century ago, Yang and Mills introduced a remarkable new
framework to describe elementary particles using structures that also occur
in geometry. Quantum Yang-Mills theory is now the foundation of most of
elementary particle theory, and its predictions have been tested at many
experimental laboratories, but its mathematical foundation is still
unclear. The successful use of Yang-Mills theory to describe the strong
interactions of elementary particles depends on a subtle quantum mechanical
property called the "mass gap:" the quantum particles have positive masses,
even though the classical waves travel at the speed of light. This property
has been discovered by physicists from experiment and confirmed by computer
simulations, but it still has not been understood from a theoretical point
of view. Progress in establishing the existence of the Yang-Mills theory
and a mass gap and will require the introduction of fundamental new ideas
both in physics and in mathematics.

The Clay Mathematics Institute American Mathematical Society has offered a
million dollar prize to anyone who can supply this new physics and
mathematics.

http://www.claymath.org/library/monographs/MPPc.pdf

This tells me that the theoretical and mathematical foundation that a valid
theory of LENR can be built on is not in place yet.

LENR is very much like the fractionalized quantum Hall Effect (FQHE) in
that electrons and quarks are fermions. But where in the FQHE, the strong
directly applied magnetic field causes the charge of the electron to be cut
to factions and even completely eliminated, the strong magnetic fields
involved in LENR causes the charges of quarks to be greatly reduced or even
completely eliminated.

When the charge and spin properties of the quarks in the nucleus are
disrupted in the nucleus, new quark configurations will after the strong
magnetic field is removed. This is the basis of transmutation and even
fusion.

Where theoretical physics finally realizes this experimental wonder that is
LENR, there will be a new rebirth in string and quantum field theory
thinking not unlike what is currently happening with the FQHE.

Theoretical physics has been alienated by completely inappropriate
theoretical explanations of LENR experimental results over the decades that
counter the current theoretical directions and aspirations of theoretical
physics. In this branch of conservative science, much damage to the
credibility of LENR has been done that can only be corrected by the Rossi
method of pushing experimental reality in the face of  incomplete
theoretical physics through the release of a hitherto completely magical
and unexplained commercial product.