Hi Jones, Terry,

Regarding the unusual event at AD 774 and the references to the nature article,
"A signature of cosmic-ray increase in AD 774–775 from tree rings in Japan"

http://www.nature.com/news/mysterious-radiation-burst-recorded-in-tree-rings-1.10768
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v486/n7402/full/nature11123.html

I did not read the paper, but just by looking at the abstract, there are a couple of strong hints that the cosmic-ray increase could be related to Eta Carinae:

1) the paper mentions that the event occurs suddenly and is of short duration, i.e. did not appear un previous nor subsequent years records, which matches with Eta Carinae's events. 2) the first recorded Eta Carinae spectroscopic event was in July 1870 (1870.60) (http://etacar.umn.edu/). Subtracting 1870.6 from 774.5 (assuming that the sudden cosmic-ray increase took place at the middle of 774), we obtain 1096.1, which is an almost integral multiple of Eta Carinae's spectroscopic events period(!), which is 5.539 years: 1096.1/5.539 = 197.89 (A period of 5.536 years, by the way, gives us an almost integer value of 197.995)

Assuming that the event took place at the beginning of AD 774, we obtain (1870.6-774)/5.539 = 197.978, which is in excellent agreement. And assuming the end of 774, we get (1870.6-774.9)/5.539 = 197.815, which is still in good agreement.

So, if Eta Carinae's spectroscopic events were regular also in the past; which is relatively safe to assume if the events are related to the dynamics of a binary system (which is the main proposed cause), an unusually strong explosion or cosmic-ray emission took place there, 8000 years before 774 AD, and affected Earth in AD 774. That is, the year 774 would be one in which a particularly powerful EtaCar spectroscopic event arrived.

Regarging north/south variations, I was unable to detect direct correlations between north/south solar hemisphere sunspot activity and Eta Carinae events. In fact, it seems a certain inverse correlation is more probably observed. This may be related to a kind of amplification effect, or gavitational lens effect, as recently mentioned in other posts
http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg86440.html
Maybe the Sun's own southern hemisphere acts as a lens for the north hemisphere, where the sunspots appear. In that case, when analyzing (Earth's) north and south hemisphere C14 levels in trees, something similar could be found.

Best regards,
Mauro