David,

They have also just filed this patent application -

Production of energy via laser-initiated aneutronic nuclear fusion reactions
WO 2013144482 A1

Abstract
The invention relates to the production of energy with laser beams,
involving: a) exciting a fuel target (4) into a plasma state using a first
set of laser beams (1); b) bombarding the fuel target in the plasma state
with particles generated using a second set of laser beams (2), the fuel
and the particles being chosen so that the interaction between the fuel
target in the plasma state and the particles produce non-thermal
equilibrium aneutronic nuclear reactions; and c) recovering energy from
the ions generated by the aneutronic nuclear reactions

http://www.google.com/patents/WO2013144482A1?cl=en

- I have only quickly perused it.
Maybe they present other methods closer to your approach.
Interesting that they do claim "A method for producing energy..."

-- Lou Pagnucco