From: leaking pen <itsat...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sat, Nov 16, 2013 7:30 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Local Calculated Velocity of Space Ship

I'm lost.  Time dilation would continue to effect the synchonized clock, right?

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM,  <jwin...@cyllene.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

On 16/11/2013 12:25 PM, leaking pen      wrote:

However if we consider                  ourselves using our initial clock
synchronisation,                  then we know our true accumulated speed
because we can                  see that the light pulse is only just
travelling a bit                  faster than us (it takes the pulse a very
long time to                  travel from the back of the ship to the front)
and so                  we are travelling just a shade slower than c.  Also
             since any clock tick rate is given by an oscillation
   time, if we use the round trip time of a light pulse
travelling from the back of the ship, to the front and                  back
again, as our oscillation tick time, then we know                  that our
time is ticking a lot slower than it was                  before we
accelerated.  If we divide the known                  distance (10 light years)
by our speed measured this                  way (~0.99c or thereabouts) then we
know how many                  ticks of our (slowed down) clock will happen in
that                  distance - and it will be 1 years worth.  Since our
           clock seems to us to be ticking at its normal rate, we
   will get there in what feels to us like a year."

Wouldnt the light take the same              amount of time per our observation
to travel the ship?              Isn't that fact basically defined by
relativity?

    The question is how do you measure the time?  If you measure the    round
trip time, then Yes it never changes - because that is our    definition of
time.  But if we want to measure the *one-way*    velocity so that we can
compare it with the other *one-way*    velocity, then we need two clocks - one
at each end.  If we    synchronise these clocks by any means just before we
make the    measurement, then Yes - again it takes exactly the same amount of
 time to travel in each direction along the length of the ship.  That    is
guaranteed by our synchronisation technique.

    But .... if we keep the initial synchronisation that was established
before we started accelerating, then using this time at each end of    the ship
and pulses of light traversing this distance, we can    discover our speed
relative to when the clocks were initially    synchronised - and this can
indicate a speed in excess of c!

    Consider the Eiffel tower experiment.  The clock at the top runs    faster
and the time difference accumulates until a light pulse sent    from the top
when the clock reads say 10am, could arrive at the    bottom clock when it
reads 9:59:59 - which is before it left!  This    same effect occurs without
any gravitational field to mess with    time, and only with the help of
acceleration.  If you got a reading    like this from your space ship
measurement, you would know that you    had accelerated such that your
accumulated speed relative to when    you synchronised your clocks was greater
than c.