The clasaic 20+ years old paper about this is
 in the Journal of Chemical Education, onr of my favprite papers:
http://voh.chem.ucla.edu/vohtar/fall02/classes/172/pdf/172rpint.pdf

Till now, as far I remember mercury has not played a role in LENR. I have
once suggested it could be used
to create active sites, by blowing hydrogen charged with mercury vapors
over a metal by forming very local
amalgam islands and these can be processed further.

Just an idea, it was never tested. I have worked with mercury  in
electrolysis plants and once even as heat
transfer agent in a cyclohexanol to cyclohexanone  plant. Nasty stuff- to
be avoided if possible. The evil stuff  kills my pet metal aluminum.

Peter

--
Dr. Peter Gluck
Cluj, Romania