I wrote:

In my own case I'm not thinking of hydrinos.  I'm thinking of brief but
> sharp transients in the electronic structure of the host metal that
> intervene between two fusion precursors.

Btw, for those who are interested, here is a drawing I put together to give
a sense of this particular idea:

http://i.imgur.com/LTGzr1L.png

The blue is the electron charge density.  Presumably such a spike is a
transient occurrence, lasting only for a moment.  It might be possible to
get very high (arbitrarily high?) charge densities in localized regions for
brief periods of time under nonequilibrium conditions.

Eric