On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Foks0904 . <foks0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yeah Goodstein even commented how good the work of Scaramuzzi was, but
>> just avoided the question of whether excess heat was real or not.
>>

> I rather like Goodstein's piece.  The question facing him (whether he
> perceived it or not) was:  do I want to really embarrass myself and/or
> continue to have a promising career?  I do not blame him for speaking
> equivocally about cold fusion.  When one has colleagues like John Franks,
> there is a lot of pressure to be politic.

As provost Goodstein had an obligation to demand that Lewis reproduce,
based on the full F&P paper with its corrections, the errors Lewis claimed
F&P made.  This would have been the way to frame the additional effort and
it would accord with standard scientific protocol.  He would have taken
virtually no risks in doing this.