On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM, <pagnu...@htdconnect.com> wrote:

> One of these is -
> "Nuclear processes in solids: basic 2nd-order processes"
> http://arxiv.org/abs/1303.1078
>
> ABSTRACT
> Nuclear processes in solid environment are investigated. It is shown that
> if a slow, quasi-free heavy particle of positive charge interacts with a
> "free" electron of a metallic host, it can obtain such a great magnitude
> of momentum in its intermediate state that the probability of its nuclear
> reaction with an other positively charged, slow, heavy particle can
> significantly increase. It is also shown that if a quasi-free heavy
> particle of positive charge of intermediately low energy interacts with a
> heavy particle of positive charge of the solid host, it can obtain much
> greater momentum relative to the former case in the intermediate state and
> consequently, the probability of a nuclear reaction with a positively
> charged, heavy particle can even more increase. This mechanism opens the
> door to a great variety of nuclear processes which up till know are
> thought to have negligible rate at low energies. Low energy nuclear
> reactions allowed by the Coulomb assistance of heavy charged particles is
> partly overviewed. Nuclear pd and dd reactions are investigated
> numerically. It was found that the leading channel in all the discussed
> charged particle assisted dd reactions is the electron assisted d+d→ 4He
> process.

The summary describes important aspects of the paper which are not
mentioned in the abstract:

<<VI. SUMMARY
It is found that, contrary to the commonly accepted opinion, in a solid
metal surrounding
nuclear reactions can happen between heavy, charged particles of like
(positive) charge of
low initial energy. It is recognized, that one of the participant particles
of a nuclear reaction
of low initial energy may pick up great momentum in a Coulomb scattering
process on a
free, third particle of the surroundings. The virtually acquired great
momentum, that is
determined by the energy of the reaction, can help to overcome the
hindering Coulomb
barrier and can highly increase the rate of the nuclear reaction even in
cases when the rate
would be otherwise negligible. It is found that the electron assisted d + d
→ 4He process
has the leading rate. In the reactions discussed energetic charged
particles are created, that
can become (directly or after Coulomb collisions) the source of heavy
charged particles of
intermediately low (of about a few keV ) energy. These heavy particles can
assist nuclear
reactions too. It is worth mentioning that the shielding of the Coulomb
potential has no
effect on the mechanisms discussed.
Our thoughts were motivated by our former theoretical findings [9]
according to which
the leading channel of the p + d → 3He reaction in solid environment is the
so called solid
state internal conversion process, an adapted version of ordinary internal
conversion process
[10]. In the process formerly discussed [9] if the reaction takes place in
solid material, in
which instead of the emission of a
 photon, the nuclear energy is taken away by an electron
of the environment (the metal), the Coulomb interaction induces a p + d →
3He nuclear
transition. The processes discussed here can be considered as an
alternative version of the
solid state internal conversion process since it is thought that one party
of the initial particles
of the nuclear process takes part in Coulomb interaction with a charged
particle of the solid
material (e.g. of a metal).
There may be many fields of physics where the traces of the proposed
mechanism may have
been previously appeared. It is not the aim of this work to give a
systematic overview these
fields. We only mention here two of them that are thought to be partly
related or explained
by the processes proposed. The first is the so called anomalous screening
effect observed in
low energy accelerator physics investigating astrophysical factors of
nuclear reactions of low
atomic numbers [11]. The other one is the family of low energy nuclear
fusion processes.
The physical background, discussed in the Introduction and in the first
part of Section V.,
was questioned by the two decade old announcement [12] on excess heat
generation due to
nuclear fusion reaction of deuterons at deuterized Pd cathodes during
electrolysis at near
room temperature. The paper [12] initiated continuous experimental work
whose results
were summarized recently [13]. The mechanisms discussed here can explain
some of the
main problems raised in [13]. (a) The mechanisms proposed here make low
energy fusion
reactions and nuclear transmutations possible. (b) The processes discussed
explain the lack
of the normally expected reaction products.
The authors are indebted to K. H¨artlein for his technical assistance.>>

Note: reference 13 is Ed Storms' 2010 paper in Naturwissenschaften.

Harry