I think the validation should be more in this style
10 up to minus 7 is stupid
1% is next to stupid
20% a hard call
50% a good chance and with some support very likely
80% JUST DO IT A SURE THING
The last two just requires attention.
I know I am an optimist and that my comments are anything but science.
However, it is all basedon Pareto's law and it works in 80% of all cases.
Statistical odds is far different and they are not of any significance as
they are driven by mass-hysteria and are totally unpredictable as we learnt
the first lesson in statistics. Reason is that they mostly are presented
without the total numbers it is based on. If the first two have different
opinion then anything is possible.
The reall problem is that most percentages are derivated out of the odds .
A real evaluation and my numbers are ok if you are involved. Not involved
then it is gambling and I have heard that peope are winning the lottery so
who knows .  . .
On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Jed Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
> 43%? Are you sure? I think it should be 51.8%. Then again, depending on
> his grades at Yale, maybe only 47.53%. Just spitballing here . . . but I
> don't see where you came up with 43%.
>
> - Jed
>

 While naturally some things come with a genuine probability, such as the
odds in, well gambling.

But these kinds of estimates of probability in regard real world things
such as this are never point anything unless it is 0.00001% or 99.9999%

But I'd go further and say that anything other than the following is
probably just talking, well you know...

0.00001%  Almost no chance
1% Really unlikely, but definitely possible. A real long shot.
20% very real chance, but still less likely than not
50% Around about about even as far as I can tell.
80% Probably will happen, but there is still a real chance it won't.
99% Really likely, but not certain, could be considered 'a sure thing'
though.
99.99999% Almost certain, I wouldn't worry.

Sure, you could argue that maybe there should be 40% or 60%, but such
slight edges are mostly due to bias in evaluation, wishful thinking. And
have little utility.
Anything more or less sure going into 80% or 20%.

What good does 30% of subjective probability do different to 20%?
What good is 60 or 70%?
These slight edges one way are based on ego and bias, wishful thinking and
fear.
And even if real, in a one shot instance the difference between 35% and 65%
is debatable since there is a very reasonable probability of 'winning' with
a 35% probability (of success) and losing at 65% probability (of success).
 Only on multiple trials even if these probabilities are genuine would
their difference really show through.

43% is an unbalanced mind and out of control ego in need of help, or a big
rest.

Reply via email to