Note how I phrased this, oh so carefully:

> As long as there is free market competition, there will be cutthroat price
> reductions and the cost of energy per joule will plummet, just as the cost
> of computing fell by a factor of several billion (measured per instruction
> or per byte of storage).

The cost per FLOP or per byte of storage has declined by many orders of
magnitude. BUT, we spend a lot more on computers than we did in 1970.
Corporations spend more, and individuals spend way more, increasing from
zero dollars then to several thousand dollars today. When you count the
cost of computers built into your car, your food processor, TV and cell
phone, computers are probably one of your biggest expenses.

Something similar may happen with energy. We may consume a lot more of it,
in many new ways. The price may fall by a factor of ten for the raw joules
of heat, but manufacturers will think of clever ways to package energy and
we will buy it in small expensive chunks. This is like converting cheap
potatoes into expensive potato chips.

Overall consumption may not rise much in the first world, because many
people consume all the energy they want. I am sure consumption will rise in
the the third world.

If we undertake projects such as massive desalination, or a project to bury
most of the major highways, the overall, society-wide use of energy will
increase tremendously. The cost, meanwhile, will gradually fall to zero.