It seems oils companies like Amoco, Shell have participated the research.
Today they participate investment in renewables, like do oild kingdoms, to
prepare for the transition...

what you describe is better explained by self-delusion like the one of hot
fusionist...
I feel that oil companies won't be the most victims of that delusion (they
will have few decade to die).
hot fusionist and renewable, plus advising agencies benefiting from
expensive  or carboned energy (they will die instantly).