A contact from LBNL told me years ago that there were researchers in top
labs doing LENR-related research, but the Lab administrators would never
known it - since the title and field of inquiry would be carefully
constructed to hide the fact.

This seemed preposterous to me back then, but I just stumbled on a paper
that makes me wonder. Well, it clearly is not a ruse, but it would be a
great surprise if Nilsson's group had not seen an energy anomaly in this
work.

http://gcep.stanford.edu/pdfs/QeJ5maLQQrugiSYMF3ATDA/2.1.4.4.nilsson_06.pdf

The paper turned up using the search terms:
hydrogen, nickel, potassium, CNT
....since that combination seems like the best guess for the Rossi
formula...

No smoking gun of course, but interesting parallel path.

http://ssrl.slac.stanford.edu/nilssongroup/index.html