[snip] So it makes far more sense to consider this proof of something that can
exist, the aether, than proof of something that can't (all frames being equal
and experiencing unequal time dilation equally).[/snip]
EXACTLY! Our metrics of time and distance all assume physical objects to limit
displacement to 3D.. the Pythagorean basis of Lorentzian formulas is screaming
physical displacement 90 degrees to the observers 3D plane. This also ties into
the failure of M&M to detect any ether drift because the ether is moving
through all 3 spatial dimensions at 90 degrees and therefore contraction
normally only occurs when you increase the number of interactions by velocity
or gravity well [the Haisch Rhueda analogy of speeding car through a downpour
of rain].. I suspect relativistic hydrogen as suggested ny Naudts for the
hydrino is actually reducing the rainfall through Casimir suppression and
results in less interaction .. from our perspective the contraction would
appear symmetrical since we become the near luminal observer as compared to the
negative value of "rainfall"/ether in the geometry - that is to say WE are
contracting at 90 degrees to a hypothetical nano observer riding the suppressed
hydrogen inside the skeletal catalyst or grains of  nano powder where of course
time and space seems locally normal to the observer. I would guess Lorentzian
contraction still obeys the 1 axis rule we have come to accept from the
perspective of this nano observer where the entrance to the cavity would seem
to shrink farther away increasing the volume of the cavity and allowing more
gas atoms to accumulate inside than exterior measurements would seem to
indicate possible like a nano TARTUS from DR Who.  Since suppression doesn't
require near luminal displacement in any spatial dimension the contraction is
shared equally in each direction.
Just my story and I am sticking to it :_)