On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Roarty, Francis X <
francis.x.roa...@lmco.com> wrote:

>  I don't see why the "direction" of the 2 friends matter

When it comes to the ability to observe the rate of time the other party is
experiencing it is everything.

If one friend sees the other as receding, this motion will change each
friends view of the time rate of the other, they will appear even more
slowed than you would have SR predict. (constantly increasing communication
delay)

If they were travelling toward each other, this motion would make each see
the others rate of time faster than it s actually occuring as each moment
the communication delay would be less.

If they are passing and perpendicular, then they both have a chance to see
how time passes in the other frame relative to their own frame without
these distortions.

It is now harder to imagine that each is going to see time stalled for the
other while they are passing through time, this is taken to extremes (which
require some variations) we could have centuries pass for each while
observing the other to have no time pass.

If while passing the friends suddenly accelerate/decelerate equally to come
to a relative stop in an arbitrarily short period of time then the
experience of each friend is equal (especially if each was the native to
their previous reference frames) and one can't be selected to have
objectively experienced less time than the other, so it is a draw, each
must see time onboard the other guys ship to suddenly speed up
supernaturally as they decelerate so that the other twin has had as much
time pass as they have had.

Worse yet, this speed up would magically depend on how much time needs to
be made up for, if both were natives to their respective initial reference
frames then they and the matter they are composed on has a LOT of missing
time to make up for!

But if they are newer to the reference frame which they are now
decelerating from, you would expect less time to pass.

, dialation is an effect of the velocity wrt C ... no vector is involved,
> just a trigonmetric relationship of the spatial plane to another
> dimensional axis.

Saying it like that separates it from reality suddenly you can ignore what
one sees of another.
It is just math, and things can be done that are physically impossible.

> Bothfriends  slow down the same amount regardless of direction and the
> only dilation is between themselves and the outside stationary world they
> are passing thru if they have the same velocity.. when they meet up they
> should however find their time quite different from that read on a clock at
> their stationary meeting place.

The 'stationary' meeting place is moving to.
And as such they see the time on this 'stationary'  frame to be stopped,
even though if they come to a stop relative to this frame, this frame
should suddenly be ahead.

Secondly the expectation of which twin is far ahead in time depends on how
they meet, if one accelerates suddenly to the speed on the other, in that
moment it is finally asymmetric and one twin is suddenly old and the other
young, if the other twin accelerates it is the reverse.

Or they could met in the middle and be the same age, just imagine them face
to face at 99% of *C* passing each other and getting to each make that
decision that either of then could be young, aged or middle aged in an
instant!

Yes, SR makes so much sense and is internally consistent.