On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 11:51 AM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

> Harry, I am currently supporting the idea that acceleration is the main
> reason for the clock differences because it would not appear reasonble to
> expect a difference in clock readings if both observers continued to move
> at constant velocities.

Ok, so let's propose that 2 very long parallel space trains exist, both
were built and neither has begun moving, except they were built in
different reference frames by beings that existed naturally in this state
of motion/stillness, the relative speed between the train is 99.9% of *C*.

Each occupant of each train can look at the clocks and occupants in the
other train, according to SR each would expect to see that in the tiny
window of time they have to inspect the rate of time in each cabin, then
the rate of time in the other train would appear slowed, this is odd as
they would both need to agree despite the fact that high speed real time
communication between the cabins would be possible.

Anyway the real paradox is this, each sees that almost no time has passed
for the occupants of the opposite train, if both trains accelerate evenly
to come to a relative stop SR would declare a tie, and demand that in the
instant it takes to equalize speeds that each would see time in the other
train to accelerate dramatically to have it experience all the missing time.

If one matches the other however it is asymmetrical and the accelerated
train should be found to have less time having passed.

And of course visa versa.

In case you missed it let me point that out again, our 'twins' can look at
each other face to face (at velocity), both see the other an younger, but
then how they equalize speeds will effect the age each twin is when they
meet!

They could both be middle age if they meet in the middle, or either one
could be young and the other old depending on who changes speed to come to
a relative stop!

And if a passenger on one of these trains was from another reference frame,
they would age differently.

Objections can be raised for say twins existing in different reference
frames, and there are issues with synchronization, but these issues are
solvable with slight variations such as a slightly curved path than lead to
the trains actually being in counter-rotating loops.
If a slight curve changed time dilation dramatically from what it would be
straight line then time dilation would never exist since all paths are
curved in practice as we are orbiting stars, galaxies etc...

John