From: Jed Rothwell
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 4:02 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Homopolar generators and the truth of magnetism

Also, electron-volt is lowercase e: eV

Liter is officially outside the SI system, but it is acceptable. It should be
capital L, to avoid confusing it with the digit 1. Milliliters are lowercase
"l" as in 100 ml, which is inconsistent. This is supposed to be outside the
pale, but it is used. NIST explains:

The liter in Table 6 deserves comment. This unit and its symbol l were adopted
by the CIPM in 1879. The alternative symbol for the liter, L, was adopted by
the CGPM in 1979 in order to avoid the risk of confusion between the letter l
and the number 1. Thus, although both l and L are internationally accepted
symbols for the liter, to avoid this risk the preferred symbol for use in the
United States is L. Neither a lowercase script letter l nor an uppercase script
letter L are approved symbols for the liter.

In Japan, they sometime use a lowercase script "l" to indicate liter, like
this: ℓ.

The official SI symbol for thousands is a half-space, which is nuts. One
million is: 1 000 000. Who does that? I say 1,000,000.

Europeans use a comma instead of a decimal point. That's just wrong. Sorry, but
it's wrong, like spreading Nutella on bread for breakfast.