I don't think litecoin will suffer the errors of bitcoin.  With
litecoin, the entire blockchain exists in every wallet.  Mind you,
this is a huge database and can take days to create a wallet unless
you order the blockchain on DVD.

Bitcoin only links resident coins to the blockchain along with the
local code of the wallet.  Forking will work with bitcoin; but, I
don't see how it can work with litecoin.

The other advantage of litecoin is transaction time.  With the
resident blockchain, transactions are almost instantaneous; whereas,
bitcoin transactions can take up to an  hour depending on market
activity.

Problem is, you can't buy much with litecoin, except bitcoin.  :-)