Ken--

Is Chris's grandfather Leon Cooper?

The following excerpt is from Wikipedia regarding Cooper Pairs.

>>>n condensed matter physics, a Cooper pair or BCS pair is two electrons (or
>>>other fermions) that are bound together at low temperatures in a certain
>>>manner first described in 1956 by American physicist Leon Cooper.[1] Cooper
>>>showed that an arbitrarily small attraction between electrons in a metal can
>>>cause a paired state of electrons to have a lower energy than the Fermi
>>>energy, which implies that the pair is bound. In conventional
>>>superconductors, this attraction is due to the electron-phonon interaction.
>>>The Cooper pair state is responsible for superconductivity, as described in
>>>the BCS theory developed by John Bardeen, Leon Cooper, and John Schrieffer
>>>for which they shared the 1972 Nobel Prize.[2]

Although Cooper pairing is a quantum effect, the reason for the pairing can be
seen from a simplified classical explanation.[2][3] An electron in a metal
normally behaves as a free particle. The electron is repelled from other
electrons due to their negative charge, but it also attracts the positive ions
that make up the rigid lattice of the metal. This attraction distorts the ion
lattice, moving the ions slightly toward the electron, increasing the positive
charge density of the lattice in the vicinity. This positive charge can attract
other electrons. At long distances this attraction between electrons due to the
displaced ions can overcome the electrons' repulsion due to their negative
charge, and cause them to pair up. The rigorous quantum mechanical explanation
shows that the effect is due to electron-phonon interactions.

The energy of the pairing interaction is quite weak, of the order of 10?3eV,
and thermal energy can easily break the pairs. So only at low temperatures a
significant number of the electrons in a metal are in Cooper pairs. The
electrons in a pair are not necessarily close together; because the interaction
is long range, paired electrons may still be many hundreds of nanometers apart.
This distance is usually greater than the average interelectron distance, so
many Cooper pairs can occupy the same space.[4] Electrons have spin-1?2, so
they are fermions, but a Cooper pair is a composite boson as its total spin is
integer (0 or 1). This means the wave functions are symmetric under particle
interchange, and they are allowed to be in the same state. The tendency for all
the Cooper pairs in a body to 'condense' into the same ground quantum state is
responsible for the peculiar properties of superconductivity.

The BCS theory is also applicable to other fermion systems, such as helium-3.
Indeed, Cooper pairing is responsible for the superfluidity of helium-3 at low
temperatures. It has also been recently demonstrated that a Cooper pair can
comprise two bosons.[5] Here the pairing is supported by entanglement in an
optical lattice.<<<

Maybe the nanotubes support high temperature Cooper pairing.

Bob