John,

Einstein's conception of simultaneity follows a procedure. The first step
in this procedure is to establish clock synchronization in one frame of
reference in isolation from a moving system. However, it occurred to me
that this first step is not necessary. Instead it is possible to imagine a
method of clock synchronization that requires contact with a moving system.

Imagine four clocks which are wound up but not ticking. Two clocks A and B
are separated by a given distance in a stationary frame and the other two
clocks A' and B' are separated by the same distance in a moving frame
aligned along a closely parallel axis. When the pairs of clocks brush past
they all start ticking.

Harry