Yeah, that is how it was determined to exist in the first place.  Now I wonder
if the actual process leading to the force that drives the stars apart is CMB
radiation?  The thought is that CMB exists throughout the universe and is
approximately equal in all directions of propagation.  It is basically pent up
energy and must want to expand into a larger space.

I think of it like what would happen if you have a photon of light trapped
between two perfect mirrors.  Momentum and energy is deposited upon each mirror
every time a reflection takes place.  Eventually all of the momentum and energy
ends up in the mirrors.  Before that happens it appears as though a continuous
force is pushing them apart which comes in pulses timed by the reflections.

I suppose that the total energy of the CMB would be reduced with time under the
conditions considered above so it would have to be refreshed by the stored dark
energy reservoir.  As we were wildly speculating earlier perhaps the
interaction of the dark matter with itself performs that resupply.  Can
gravitational collapse of dark matter convert into dark energy?

Dave