  From: Axil Axil
  To: vortex-l
  Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 8:24 PM
  Subject: Re: [Vo]:nice essay Jed

  High loading produces cracks - NAE

  On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 11:18 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

    <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

      One thing I take issue with (more with standard practice in the CF
community
      than with Jed in particular) is the use of the volume of the cathode in
      calculating energy density. Since the actual source of energy is likely
to be

      the Hydrogen in the water, not the actual cathode metal . . .

    Some people say the hydrogen is not very mobile once the reaction starts
up. What you have in the cathode is what there is. The hydrogen at the surface
comes off, but most of the hydrogen in the bulk stays put. Obviously that is
true in heat after death or with gas loading.

    Then again, McKubre says flux is important, so who knows.

    If Ed is right and the reaction occurs only at the surface, then there
would be rapid exchange with hydrogen in the water. What I do not understand
about that hypothesis is: Why is high loading important, in that case?