Jones--

As I have suggested in the past, spin coupling of nucleons with electrons or other nucleons may not involve the gammas and x-rays you fear must occur in nuclear transitions. High isomeric spin states can involve high energies above a ground energy state of a nucleus. Transitions to lower energy states should not involve gammas or x-rays only distribution/conservation of angular momentum.

Bob
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jones Beene" <jone...@pacbell.net>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:05 AM
Subject: RE: [Vo]:Nuclear isomer

Fran,

The good-news bad-news problem with down-conversion of x-rays, as well as
the other hypotheses for the absence of high energy gamma radiation,
including that of Hagelstein, is that yes, they could possibly operate some
of the time, or even most of the time. The mechanism may sound logical, on
paper and at first glance. But nature "prefers" radiation, as a general
rule.

The bad-news problem with any such naïve suggestion, is that the would need
to operate all of time without exception. We are talking about deadly
radiation requiring thick plates of lead to shield normally, and we know
that nature already favors the preferred pathway - radiation. Think about a
dental x-ray and the elaborate precautions taken there. That radiation is
puny by comparison, both in its low power (15 keV) and in miniscule
intensity (duration) which is a few nanoseconds. LENR, such as the recent
Mizuno experiment, at many watts for many days, would be trillions of times
more intense, and no shielding except from the reactor. A lapse of a
millisecond and we have radiation burns and cancer, or worse.

In short - instead of the single miracle of the nuclear reaction itself, you
would also need the larger miracle of a brand new way to hide the high
energy radiation, plus the further miracle that the new mechanism operates
without fail. The theorist would seem to be better off to propose an
underlying reaction which can be shielded by the reactor (few keV range or
less).

In fact, it is arguable that any hypothetical radiation shielding mechanism,
if it existed, would be as valuable or more valuable than LENR itself, since
it would permit the use of subcritical fission with desktop accelerators -
say in automobiles.

From: Roarty, Francis X

Could a relativistic component as suggested by Naudts
possibly disguise/dilate/down convert Bremsstahlung?

From: Jones Beene

This is somewhat similar to the "lochon" explanation:
"Lochon Catalyzed D-D Fusion in Deuterated Palladium in the Solid State" by
Sinha and Meulenberg

Lochons are hypothesized to be electron pairs which can form
on a deuteron to give D- (which is a bosonic ion) in Palladium Deuteride.
Supposedly, lochons which are close - similar to a DDL, so that they then
catalyze D-D fusion, resulting in a type of internal conversion leading to
the formation of He plus production of lots of energy which is carried by
the alpha and the ejected electron-pair.

Problem is - the alpha is slow and the electrons are very
fast - so that with this and other forms of IC, the ejected electron(s) is
extremely energetic and the bremsstrahlung from it would be just as obvious
as gamma rays, if not more so.

From: MarkI-ZeroPoint

A Fellow Friend of Fringe Facts sent me to gander at this:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_isomer

And here is what caught my attention that might apply to
LENR/CF:
-----------------------
Internal conversion

Metastable isomers may also decay by internal conversion -
 ***a process in which the energy of nuclear de-excitation
is NOT emitted as a gamma ray***,
but instead used to accelerate one of the inner electrons of
the atom, so that it leaves at high speed and energy. This result occurs
because inner atomic electrons penetrate the nucleus, where they are subject
to the intense electric fields which result when the protons of the nucleus
re-arrange in a different way. In nuclei which are far from stability in
energy, still other decay modes are known.

An added bonus was this statement which supports my model
for electrons as dipole-like oscillations which either skirt, and/or pass
thru the nucleus...
"...because inner atomic electrons penetrate the nucleus"

I guess it's going to take a 2x4 to the head to get the
science mainstream's attention... or, to interrupt their mesmerized state
brought on by indoctrination to the current paradigm.

-mark iverson